No More Ignorance.

 Good day guys. I must say that I wasn't planning on writing about this but a tiny little feeling in me keeps pushing me to write it. It has to do with how we respond to helping people in distress or people who are helpless in matters affecting their health. I am so so sad at the level people around us behave when a person whom they know or were talking to suddenly slumps. Instead of helping person, they will just run away. It's like all hell has let loose. They will run to the extent of even endangering their own lives. 

Why? I ask why. Why would people do this? If you ask them they will say it is 'Attack' or ' spiritual Attack'. This is very common in my community and country where I live which is Nigeria. Our people are so ignorant. Can I attribute this to their education level or exposure or fear of contracting a disease?

I came across a video that circulated on social media of a man from Rivers State Nigeria who was dancing in an event. The guest were so happy at his dancing skills. He danced to their amazement. Then suddenly he fell down and was motionless for few seconds. The guests continued watching him without intervention. He moved his hand but they continued watching him. Maybe they thought it was a dancing skill as well. It was after a short while that some men came and carried him and the next thing we heard was that he died. What an unfortunate way to die. If only the guests acted fast.

I want to use the opportunity to say that I may attribute this behavior of our people to their exposure and fear. I believe that there were some health care personnel among the guests but no one wants to be involved or be associated perhaps because of the police. But that should not stop us from giving appropriate interventions. I don't really blame them probably they had a very bad experience in the past and they became suspects in deaths they were not even aware of.

Our country happens to be one of the most unfortunate places to be based on emergency health care response. In developed countries they have emergency health response team and lives are saved. 

Well as sad and as helpless as the situation is, we can only talk and do what is within our capabilities as humans who can be vulnerable at any time. I will outline some steps that might help if one finds himself or herself in such situation but not as the victim. When someone slumps, immediately do the following:

1. Call for help because you need an assistant to help you.

2. Loose any tight clothing around the victim's neck.

3. Tilt the neck upwards to expose the front part of the neck.

4. Start CPR or chest compressions with both of your palms held together.

5. Compress the chest 30 times and instruct your assistant to open the victim's mouth and blow in air. You may place a clean handkerchief on the victim's mouth to prevent direct contact.( Very scary and discouraging part).

6. Continue compressions and blowing in air till the victim is taken to a hospital.

It can be very exhausting, but life is precious. I believe this can help a lot.

We should no longer be ignorant. We should now be knowledgeable about life saving skills. Ignorance has cost us precious lives and I Stand up to say NO MORE.




Comments

Popular Posts